Director of Nursing / Assistant Director of Nursing / Clinical Nurse Manager
- Supervise, control staff and delegate duties as necessary.
- Ensure that all residents are treated with dignity, privacy and respect and ensuring they are treated as individuals.
- Understand the Named Nurse concept, its function, and implementation and ensure that all relevant documentation is maintained.
- Maintain professional standards in keeping with An Bord Altranais Code of Professional Conduct and understand all An Bord Altranais documents and their implications for nursing practice.
- Establish a personal and meaningful relationship with all residents, relatives, and visitors, ensuring appropriate support and comfort is given at all times, especially to the bereaved.
- Ensure all Nursing Healthcare policies are known and adhered to by all staff.
- Maintain clear, concise, and accurate records at all levels within the home.
- Ensure the agreed policies and procedures for the control, administration and custody of all drugs and medicines are adhered to.
- Participate in HIQA visits and conversant with standards of care expected.
- Ensure all admissions to the home are carried out correctly and all appropriate documentation completed.
- Liaise with health care professionals as necessary regarding the discharge of a resident to the community to ensure continuity of care.
Eligibility Criteria / Qualifications and/or Experience
- A registered General Nurse on the Register of Nurses held by Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Post registration qualification in nursing people with dementia.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Act as a good role model
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Teaching skills
- Ability to manage change
- Personal and people development
- Application of equality
- Information collection and analysis
- Quality and service improvement
Knowledge of Residential Care legislation and standards including:
- The Health Act 2007 (Number 23 of 2007).
- S.I. 415 of 2013 Health Act 2007 (Care and Welfare of Residents in Designated Centres for Older People) Regulations 2013).
- S.I. 293 of 2016 Health Act 2007 (Care and Welfare of residents in Designated centres for older people (Amendment) Regulations 2016. 4.
- S.I. 61 of 2016 Health Act 2007 (Registration of Designated Centres for Older People) Regulation 2015.
- HIQA’s National Standards for Residential Care Settings for Older People in Ireland (2016).
- HIQA’s National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infection (2009).
- HIQA National Standards for Safer Better Healthcare (2012)
- Joint Commission International Accreditation Standards for Long Term Care (2012).
- Code of Professional Conduct and Ethics for Registered Nurses and Registered Midwives (2014).
- NMBI Scope of Nursing and Midwifery Practice Framework (2015).
- Demonstrate sound knowledge and clinical nursing practice together with future trends in Care of Older Persons.
- Show evidence of current legislative policies pertinent to Care of the Older Persons.
- Knowledge and competence to practice effectively through Continuing Professional.
Development (CPD), following registration.
- Data Protection Act 2003.
- Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005.
- Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2005 & 2007.
- Employment Equality Act 1998-2015.
- Freedom of Information Act 2014 Ø Nurses and Midwives Act 2011.
- Educated in or familiar with the concepts and methods of quality improvement.
- Knowledge and understanding of the scope of practice for all Health and Social Care Professionals.
- Knowledge of relevant guidance: Protecting Our Future – Report of the Working Group on Elder Abuse (2002).
- Knowledge of Trust in Care. Policy for Health Service Employers on Upholding the Dignity and Welfare of Patient/Clients
and the Procedure for Managing Allegations of Abuse against Staff Members (2005)
- Knowledge of organisation of health services and trends nationally and internationally.
- Professionalism in the application of theory to daily practices.
- Critical thinking to be able to recognise resident problems and adapt to changes quickly.
- Ability to recognise shortfalls or limitations of their competencies.
- Ability to source both theoretical and technical information.
Place of Work
Please state your current place of work when submitting the job application.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office as directed.
Rate of Pay€21.50p.h