Director of Nursing / Assistant Director of Nursing / Clinical Nurse Manager/
Staff Nurse on Duty
Purpose of the role
The nursing home is seeking a highly motivated and reliable Healthcare
Assistant to join our team. Responsibilities include providing assistance,
support and direct person-centred care to patients and/ or residents.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To work as part of a team of Health Care Assistants, under the direction of the Nursing team
- To provide quality person-centred care to meet the needs of residents
- To provide high standard services as specified in agreed care plans and to contribute to the continual review of resident’s needs
- Enable and assist resident to maintain their personal hygiene and appearance
- Enable and assist resident to eat and drink
- Enable and assist resident to access and use toilet facilities, participating in individual continence promotion programmes
- Contribute to the movement and treatment of resident to maximise their physical comfort
- Promote mobility of resident, supervising and assisting as necessary to ensure resident retains optimum mobility
- Maintain high level of communication between resident’s family and staff developing good relationships
- To work closely with the activity co-ordinator/social care leader of the Residential home and ensure engagement of the residents at arranged activities where possible and suitable.
- To escort/Accompany residents to the hospital or for other appointments when directed by the senior nursing staff.
- Staff adhere to infection control and prevention policy
- Safekeeping of resident’s personal property
- Report broken or unsafe items that need repair
- Report to line manger if any safeguarding concerns
Eligibility criteria Qualifications and/or experience
- QQI Level 5 in Healthcare Support or minimum Care Skills & Care of the Elderly Person Modules or equivalent.
- Cheerful and compassionate nature
- Be caring, patient, empathetic and have a strong interest in care of the elderly
- Team player
- Sound judgment, initiative and problem-solving abilities and be able to pay attention to the details.
- Reading, writing and communicating clearly in English is vital. Someone that would be a good team member
and would respond positively to management and direction.
- Experience is preferred, but not as essential as genuine desire to develop or progress a career in this field is a vital attribute.
- Skill sets that could be value adding to social programmes and activities and willingness to use them.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in a similar working environment
Personal Hygiene and Appearance:
- To be familiar with the Hand Hygiene Policies and procedures and follow the standards stipulated.
- Wear enclosed, non-slip, clean shoes & clean clothing/uniform at all times while on duty.
- Wear minimal make-up and fragrance. Long hair to be tied back or worn up and / or covered.
- No jewellery with the exception of a plain (no stones) wedding band.
- Report any illness or symptoms of illness immediately to the Line manager to safeguard the health of others.
- Ensure any cuts / broken skin is covered with blue, waterproof dressings.
- Ensure thorough and frequent hand washing.
- Adhere strictly to hygiene requirements before and after using the toilet facilities.
Place of Work
Please state your current place of work when submitting the job application.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office as directed.
Rate of PayD.O.E